Friday, September 19, 2008

Letter From Grandfather Tim Moran


transcribed by Rody
This letter was written by Grandpa Tim Moran to Peter Moran in 1965 at Peter's request for a family history. What follows is Rosanne's transcription of a photocopy of the original handwritten document.

August 18th, 1965

To My Dear Grandson Peter
Well, I shall begin with my own Parents first.
My grandmother Ann married William Moran and she had a sister who married a man named Fahy and I take it for granted these two ladies maiden names was Coffee. Now my Father William married Ann Mulkinin 1884. Well my Father was the son of the above who had Bros & 4 sisters, one died young, his oldest Bro John married a girl and they had 3 boys and one girl, the boys were William, Timothy, Richard and the Annie the next two bros never married, one was in the army for close on 27 yrs and was invalidded out owing to bad health and died shortly after, he was Richard, he was in the York C Lane Regt. Tim never married and died 1891 and then there was my Father and I was the first child born in 1885. I had 5 bros John who was killed 57 yrs ago this day in the Pit and was never found. Then Richard who married Lizzie Molling in 1913, both now dead, they had one girl Lizzie who is in Cumberland, married to a man named Ly Small. My bro married again Mary Jane Finney, they had 2 sons, Richard and William and 6 daughters, one died young; they all married boys from around Wigan; Agnes married Ted Moore. Mary married McLaughlin. Theresa married a boy from Upholland, Ashcroft. Margaret married a boy named Ashall and Norah is still not married.
Two of my bros died in childhood William, William Henry. Now my bro Tom married C. Jordan, sister to my wife Ann and they had two children, Frank and Winnie and she died in Feb 1926, he married again Julie Moore, they had 3 boys and 2 girls. I think you know their names. Now my Father’s sister, Mary, married a man named M Elgann, she died when I was going to school and left one by named Meisten and he died when he was 17 yrs old. Now Lizzie my Father’s sister married a man named Michael Moran, they had 4 daughters, Annie married Farrell, and the others never married; 3 of them dead and only, Katie alive. Now, my Father’s other sister married P Mahoney and lived for close on 85 yrs; they had son Paddy who died in 1950 and his sister Alice married a man named Gregory. She died about 3 yrs ago. The other two sisters Katie and Lizzie are in America. One married a man named Cook and the other married Veany, both Wigan boys. Veany is dead.  Now Fahy daughter Maggie married a man named Peter Byrne; they had one son who died young and 4 daughters Maggie, Mary, Bridget and Agnes. Maggie never married. Mary married T Hancock. I was the best man that was in 1908. At Our Lady Church A???? Parish. Bridget married J. Fielding in the same church in 1906 and again I was the best man. They had on son Frank, who is now dead and 3 daughters, they are all living in the Wigan district. My Father was born in Wigan about 109 years ago and died in Wigan on 1906. My Mother was born in the Bewsey Parish in Warrington, 102 years ago and died in 1927. She was the daughter of John Mullen the only grandparent I ever remember; he died whilst I was still going to school and I used to go down Wallgate for his 5th Pension he received from the Pit (Gamble?) Moore Colliery. She also had two sisters. Mary who married I never knew either her husband or her and then Jane who married W Barnes they had 3 sons; John died in America, Harry My old school mate who comes to see me will be 79 in Oct. He married Nellie Mack who died young, leaving one boy. He is also dead and a girl living down Poolstock Wigan. Harry also married again to Anne Yates. I don’t know their family. William Barnes died in Manchester. He never married and then dear Sister Annie married a man in Ashton? Janice married Taylor, he also is dead. Maggie married a man named Entchkey???, now my Mothers bro Tom C Michael married but John did not. He died in the hospital at the age of 37 yrs. Tom had a large family, he was a retired Post man in Wigan but died years ago; he has two daughters born Annie & Lizzie. Katie died I believe call his son only Tom and dead J William Joe Fred Kerry Sam died in Wigan. J William Joe in Canada, they married two sisters and lived well over 80 yrs old. Michael married Jane Barnes sister of William who married Michael’s sister Jane so you see bro & sister married bros and sister. They went ou to Australia 79 years ago so the only thing I know about them that they had 10 children and one of them played a Forward in the Possible Probables but he was not selected to come in their Test Team to tour England yrs ago. Now my father in Law Family Joan & Annie both died. Thomas Ann was my wife Annie Parents Father & Mother. They also had Maggie Mother of 4 boys one died young the other she married J Taylor. Their son died yrs ago. 2 other boys married and lived in Wigan and the other ???? Phil. I don’t know where she lives. Mary Lizzie the 3rd sister is in ????????. Nellie lives in Pemberton, married L Sharky who is now dead. Thersa married P McCarthy and have one son John and daughters Margaret and Annie.  The last two are married, Nellie, John is also married. Now myself had a family of 4 sons and 3 daughters namely William, a Christian Bro, Tom, a White Fr. John married Angela Prior living somewhere in Clayton Co. Moor. Tim married J Whitehead the daughter of Jim & Nellie Whitehead, her father is dead and mother still lives in Manchester, and my 3 daughters are all married; one to Joe Smith, the other two married Americans and are now living there. Annie married a man named Bozesky. Betty married a man named Fidel Silva. Annie has about 7 children living and Betty 3 boys and one girl. My wife Annie’s grandparent was John & Bridget Jordan. I knew them both on her Father’s side. Her grandparents on her mother’s side I did not know but they were Joseph Clark. I did not know grandma’s’ first name but I feel sure her maiden was Halpin. They also had a son Pat who never married and I did not know him. I knew 3 of Annie’s aunts. Theresa died last yr 3 yrs old. Kitty died yrs ago. She left one son Jerry and one daughter Lizzie, both married. Lizzie is a widow woman had one son who got drowned in the canal in Inee. Mary never married and died a few yrs ago; one 7 yrs old the other sister Fanny married a man named J Kern both died yrs ago. They left 3, 2 girls and one boy. Joe who lives somewhere in Upholland. Annie went to Manchester, so they said. Theresa is in Blackpool. My father in law  like himself was also killed in the Pits and at Moore Pit (asphill????) And the other at Douglas Bank. Ted was married to Lizzie they had 2 boys Tom & Ted also Mary Jordan the boys are dead. Mary married Ly Cott they have 2 boys George & Michael. George is married and has 2 daughters only one is them is married. Now my father in law’s sister and his last bro Dick who died yrs ago left one boy and one girl. Now Kitty married Leo Bimley who came back from the South African War in 1900. They are dead and left Kitty and Nellie who are living somewhere in Blackburn. Their oldest girl Mary died about 5 yrs ago. Mary I only saw one from America, the other sisters Maggie who married Bob Anders has no children. Annie never married. Nellie married P Mallen, leaving one boy and two girls one of the girls is married and the son is married. Annie is still single.
Now of all my family named Moran only Katie is alive and she was the daughter of M Moran & Lizzie and that’s only 1 daughter and Michael Moran was only my Father’s brother in law. I also have two cousins in America who are the daughters of my Aunt Annie who married P McAvory. I have cousins of my Uncle Tom, two daughters Annie & Lizzie, living in Wigan and I think Tom is still alive in Canada; and my Mother’s Sister Jane Barnes have Harry, Annie, Janie, Maggie and I cannot tell you how many of cousin is still alive. So you see, I have only one of my Father’s left Katie and three of my Mother’s sister Jane left in Wigan; Harry & Jane & Maggie and that is all that is left of the Moran Family my Fathers Mothers and may all R.I.P.
So I think my Dear Grandson Peter, you will find it very nice to read and know(lgsan) dad all the best and I hope you have a very nice Holiday and Poor Shawn and Marie and Joan will look well after my little Grand Daughter Annie.
God Bless You all.

No comments: