Friday, September 19, 2008

April Fools

by Erin
First of all I want to say I love you. I love you so much. I truly believe I’m the luckiest girl in the world to have you as a father. You are and always have been there for me no matter what, and I know you always will be. I’ve made some good choices in my life and I’ve made some bad as many other people have I’m sure. But for those bad choices, not everyone has that one person who will always stand by their side till the end. You are that one person for me. Whether you think I’m right or wrong, you support me without question. Thank you for that.

On April 1st 2000, I decided to play a good, but extreme, April’s Fools joke on you. I called you that day and in a somber voice I told you that I had something serious to tell you and that I hope you were not going to be upset. “I’m pregnant”, I said. You paused just for a brief second and said to me “Babe, I’m not upset. Don’t worry, everything is going to be fine. Everything is going to work out and be ok”. You weren’t extremely excited about it, but you were happy. And then I had to say “April Fools”….but it wasn’t as funny as I thought it would be. You then said something like, Oh you got me, or something like that and then the conversation ended….. The April’s Fool joke though didn’t end that day. 7 months and 19 days after that “Aprils Fools” joke, you found yourself pacing the hallways of Memorial Hospital nervously. You snuck in the locked doors that kept you from me behind nurses making their rounds. And you got kicked out every time. That didn’t stop you though. You always found a way to get to my room to make sure I was ok. At 2:00pm (exactly) November 20, 2000, you became the proudest Grandpa alive. Jack Thomas Blackman was here, and he was already your best friend.

Turns out the “Joke” was on me. I had no idea on that past April Fools day that I was actually pregnant. I didn’t even find out I was pregnant until a few weeks past that day. But just as you said, everything worked out just fine and we were all ok.

Thank you for all the help and support with Jack you’ve given to me. I couldn’t do it without you. It makes me so happy that you two are so close. Not very many children get to grow up spending almost every day with their grandparents. Jack does. Whether it’s taking or picking him up from school, playing woofle ball in the front yard, or just running your daily errands with you, he enjoys every minute with you. Thank you for helping me make my boy a better person. We are both blessed to have you in our lives. I love you dad.

No comments: