Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tim Radio 7 - John Denver


by Tom
I'd heard the song Country Roads on the radio and kind of thought I knew who John Denver was. Then Tim brought home this album, Farewell Andromeda, and asked me to listen to it.

"Up in a meadow in Jasper Alberta, two men and four ponies on a long lonesome ride."

It sounds horribly cliche, but this album (I think JDs best) significantly altered the course of my life. What I heard was not just a string of songs, but a place. A new place. A place of mile high skies, cold icy nights, a Berkley girl strumming a dulcimer, an Angel from Montgomery, and a world of bright new mornings I was ecstatic to be welcomed to. This album was ground zero for me in transitioning from really appreciating music to actually getting in the game. Within months I'd learned my first 3 chords (thanks Perry) and started finding my own voice, for better or worse. Other influences followed: Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, Seals & Croft, James Taylor, the Eagles, America, & of course John Michael Talbot. I never progressed much past those first 3 chords, but I've played the snot out of them and had a lot of good times in the process. Thanks bro.

No comments: